President of the German Cleft Palate Craniofacial Association (GCPA)
Award for Best Publication of the Year by the J Orofac Orthop, Germany
Arnold-Biber-Award for outstanding scientific activity in the field of Orthopedics
Habilitation/Professorial Degree and conferment of ‚venia legendi‘ in the field of orthodontics, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University, Bonn
Award for Best Publication of the Year by the J Orofac Orthop, Germany
Orthodontist, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University, Bonn MD thesis/Dr. med. in the field of oro- and maxillofacial surgery, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena
Professional education for orthodontics at the Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena, and the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-University, Bonn Medical license in dentistry, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena
Dental student, Friedrich-Schiller-University, Jena
In 2017, I took my degree in Medicine from the University of Insubria (Varese, Italy) and I am currently a Maxillo-Facial Surgery Resident at San Gerardo Hospital - University of Milano-Bicocca (Monza, Italy). My main fields of interest are craniofacial surgery, reconstructive surgery and traumatology. During the last years I improved my knowledge on facial and cranial growth, by studing sutural maturation. I am a member of the Italian Society of Maxillofacial Surgery (SICMF). I published and presented scientific works nationally and internationally.
- Associate Professor of Orthodontics. Bauru Dental School and Hospital for Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies, University of São Paulo.
- MSc and PhD at Bauru Dental School, University of São Paulo, Brazil.
- Research Fellowship at Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, USA and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
- President of the Postgraduation Committee of the Hospital for Rehabilitation of Craniofacial Anomalies from 2011 to 2017
- Currently she is President of the Foundation of Bauru Dental Education, Bauru, São Paulo, Brazil.
- Research topics: Interceptative Orthodontics, Cleft lip and palate, maxillary expansion, dental anomalies and digital images
Arja Heliövaara is head of Dental Clinic and chief orthodontist at Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Center, Department of Plastic Surgery, Helsinki University Hospital, and adjunct professor at the University of Helsinki. Her main clinical interests and research projects are cleft orthognathic surgery and Scandcleft randomised trials of primary surgery for unilateral cleft lip and palate.
April 20th 2010: PBLS-D for D category Basic support of vital functions and precocious defibrillation in pediatric age - PBLS-D executive
October 2011 – June 2012: Specialization Course, Università di Milano-Bicocca - Disability Pediatrics
July 2013: 7th Annual Introductory Course on Skeletal Dysplasias Skeletas dysplasias
March 2019: Predisposition to hereditary leukemia and lymphoma Genetic causes of leukemia and lymphoma.
August 2006 – September 2007: Ulrich Beuers, Klinikum Grosshadern der Universität München- Hepatologic research Practising doctor during specialization with a German governmental grant (DAAD) Basic research, laboratory activity
November 2007 – May 2008: Faustina Lalatta, UOS Genetica Medica, Clinica Mangiagalli, Milano, Genetic counseling
June 2008-November 2009
Angelo Selicorni, Clinica de Marchi, Milano,. Clinical genetics
Practising doctor during specialization, then external collaborator Diagnostic and follow-up activity for children with malformation syndromes
May 2009-March 2010
Rosario Casalone, A.O.U Ospedale di Circolo e Fondazione Macchi, Varese, Clinical genetics External collaborator Clinical diagnosis for children and adults with genetic diseases
May 2010 – December 2021
Fondazione MBBM, Monza - Pediatric Genetic Department Clinical Geneticist Clinical diagnosis and follow-up for children affected by malformation syndromes, genetic counseling in prenatal diagnosis
January 2022 – present date: Ente Ospedaliero Cantonale, Lugano Service of Medical Genetics
Clinical Geneticist Clinical and molecular diagnosis for children and adults affected by genetic diseases, genetic counseling in preconceptional and prenatal diagnosis
Maria Costanza Meazzini is Scientific Director and Orthodontic consultant for Craniofacial anomalies at the Smile House, Operation Smile, CLP Center, Santi Paolo e Carlo Hospital, in Milano and at the Department of Cranio-Maxillo Facial Surgery, San Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Italy.
She is Adjunct Professor in Craniofacial Anomalies for the residencies in Maxillofacial Surgery and Orthodontics, University of Milano.
She is President of the European Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Association (ECPCA) and Representative and for the European Reference Network (ERNs).
She acquired a Specialty in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and a Master in Medical Sciences in 1995 (1991-1995, Harvard University). Completed a Cranio-Facial and Surgical Orthodontics Fellowship (University of Illinois at Chicago,1995-1996) in 1996.
Clinical Fellow, 2nd. Dept. of Orthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Dental School Hospital, 1990-1992
Post-doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Medicine, Div. of Endocrinology (Prof. Gregory R. Mundy), University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, 1992-1994
Assistant Professor, 2nd. Dept. of Orthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1994-1997
Lecturer, 2nd. Dept. of Orthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1997
Professor and Chairman, Dept. of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, The University of Tokushima, 1998- 2007
Professor and Chairman, Dept. of Maxillofacial Orthognathics (Orthodontics), Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, 2007-present
Dean, School of Dentistry, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2014-2017
Vice Dean, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Faculty of Dentistry, 2017-present
Position and type of practice:
- Professor and coordinating program director for OMFS at the University of Antwerp (UA), Belgium
- Chairman of the department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Antwerp-Belgium
- Director of the Team for Cleft Lip & Palate & Craniofacial anomalies at the University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
- Honorary professor at the University of Shiraz medical sciences. Shiraz-Iran
- Visiting professor at The School of Dentistry of Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Founder of Nadjmi Foundation (www.nadjmifoundation.org)
Founder of Cleft Center of Excellence at Dental School Shiraz – Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Royal Belgian Association of Stomatology and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Dutch Society for Cleft and Craniaofacial Anomalies
- European Association of Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
University of Antwerp, school of medicine: 3rd year medical students, since 2002 - Subject: “Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery”
University of Antwerp, postgraduate course on “Maxillofacial Surgery” since 2004 -
Coordinating the master degree in the specialization of Oral & Maxillofacial surgery at the University of Antwerp, Belgium
Stuzin, Dr. Wolfe and Dr. Millard
From 2001 to 2021 consultant as periodontal surgeon at the Dental Clinic-S.Gerardo Hospital in Monza-University of Milan-Bicocca
From 2022 consultant as periodontal surgeon at the Department Plastic and Maxillo-facial Surgery and of the Cranio facial Malformative Surgery Unit
at S.Gerardo Hospital in Monza-University of Milan-Bicocca
From 2016 Adjunt Professor in Periodontology at University of Milan-Bicocca
The surgical activity is focused on periodontal surgery, oral surgery, implantology and complex oral rehabilitions even for patients with craniofacial malformations
Member of Italian Society of Periodontology (SIDP), European Federation of Periodontology (EFP), Italian Society of cleft lip and palate (SILPS)
2003-2008: Specialist in Maxillo Facial Surgery Facial malformations, cleft lip and palate, orthognathic surgey, trauma, oncology San Paolo Hospital Milan
Università degli Studi di Milano Division of Maxillo Facial Surgery Prof. Roberto Brusati “L’osteodistrazione negli esiti di labiopalatoschisi” (Distraction Osteogenesis in CLP) Supervisors Prof. Roberto Brusati, Dott.ssa Costanza Meazzini
2003-2004: Professional Abilitation for Medicine and Surgery Università degli Studi di Milano Medical register: Ordine dei Medici Chirurghi ed Odontoiatri di Cremona
1997- 2003: Degree in Medicine and Surgery Università degli Studi di Milano “Nuovi indirizzi nell’allungamento primario di columella nelle labiopalatoschisi bilaterali complete” (Primary columella elongation in BCLP” ) Supervisors Prof. Roberto Brusati, Dott.ssa Costanza Meazzini
October 2011 to present Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Cleft lip and palate and cranio-maxillofacial malformations Smile House San Paolo Hospital Milan Division of Maxillo Facial Surgery
July 2010 to present Consultant in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Orthognathic surgey, trauma, oncology, cleft lip and palate and cranio-axillofacial malformations San Paolo Hospital Milan Division of Maxillo Facial Surgery
February 2010 to present
Hyperbaric Oxygent treatement doctor
Medical assistance in the chamber during ordinary and emergency treatement
Hyperbaric Medicine Institute
October 2009- July 2010
Attending Doctor with honorary contract
Orthognathic surgey, trauma, oncology, cleft lip and palate
and cranio-maxillofacial malformations
San Paolo Hospital Milan
Division of Maxillo Facial Surgery
April 2009- October 2009
Specialist Registrar in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Orthognathic surgey, trauma, oncology
The North West London Hospitals NHS Trust
Site:Northwick Park Hospital
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Clinical Director at Regional Cleft Lip and Palate Center, Smile House Milan
- Head of Malformative Surgery and Orthognatic Surgery, MaxilloFacial Surgery University Department, San Paolo University Hospital, ASST Santi Paolo e Carlo Milano.
- Deputy Director of. Maxillofacial Surgery Department of San Paolo Hospital (Head Prof. R. Brusati until 2011, Prof F. Biglioli since 2011) San Paolo University Hospital of Milan
- Surgeon consultant at Regina Margherita Pediatric Hospital in Torino and at San Matteo Hospital in Pavia.
- Adjunct Professor in Malformative and Orthognatic Surgery, MaxilloFacial Surgery Residency School of University of Milan
- International Accredited Cleft Surgeon for Operation Smile International since 2013
-Secretary of the European Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Association (ECPCA)
-Representative for the CRANIO European Reference Network (ERN-CRANIO).
- Member of Advisory Board EuroLinkCAT
- Residency in maxillofacial surgery at the University of Milan in 2000
- Observer in CranioFacial Surgery Dr S. Wolfe in Miami in 1997
- Master in Cosmetic and Reconstructive Rhinoplasty in Dallas in 2005
- Registrar in Maxillofacial Department and Cleft Center (Director Prof Brusati), San Paolo Hospital Milano since 2000
Dr. Philip Kuo-Ting Chen is currently the Professor in Surgery in Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, and the Director of the Craniofacial Center at the Taipei Medical University Hospital and has been the Director of Craniofacial Center of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital for more than 15 years.
Dr. Chen graduated from the National Taiwan University Medical School in 1981 and received his plastic surgical training at the Chang Gung Memorial Hospital from 1984 to 1987. He was a clinical fellow of Craniofacial Surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto in Canada, from 1990 to 1991.
Dr. Chen was the President of the Asian Pacific Craniofacial Association from 2006 to 2008 and the President of Taiwan Cleft Palate –Craniofacial Association from 2001 to 2007. He also served as the National Secretary of Taiwan in International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery from 2006 to 2014. He was the board member for Taiwan in AOCMF, Asian Pacific region from 2011 to 2017. He was among the International Medical Advisory Board of The Smile Train from 2007 to 2019. He is the council member of the Taiwan Cleft Palate –Craniofacial Association.
Dr. Chen received the Best paper award for the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery in 1994 and 2001 and a Best paper award from the Journal of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in 2015. He has given more than 350 international presentations. He has published more than 170 SCI articles, 29 of them were in the Journal of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and 25 chapters in textbook of cleft surgery or craniofacial surgery.
Graduated in Dentistry at the University of Genoa and Specialist in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics at the University of Turin (Italy)
2006: Attendant of the Clinical Course of Orthodontics (G. Gaslini Hospital, Genoa)
2006-2008: Two-year course of Edgewise Standard Orthodontics, low friction and masticatory function. CIO (Italian College of Orthodontics) Prof. JF. Giordanetto and F. Labate. Rome
2009-2011: Specialization in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics - University of Turin - S.C.D.U of Orthodontics and Masticatory Function
2010-2011: University Tutor for Orthodontic Problems (Dental School University of Turin)
2012: Internal consultant of orthodontics and pediatric dentistry at the Center Hospitalier de la Basse-Terre (Service de Pole soins critiques et médico-technique, service de specialitesirurgicales, spécialité Odontologie, Pole IV. Guadeloupe, France)
2016-2019: Orthodontic Consultant for Craniofacial anomalies at Dental School in Turin
Orthodontic Consultant of San Paolo Hospital in Savona for the diagnosis and treatment of the major craniofacial malformations in patients affected by rare diseases since 2009.
Orthodontic consultant for Craniofacial anomalies at the Smile House, Operation Smile, CLP Center, Santi Paolo e Carlo Hospital, in Milano since 2019.
Member SIDO (Italian Orthodontic Society), EOS (European Orthodontic Society), SILPS (Italian Society of Cleft Lip and Palate)
She dedicates herself to the orthodontic practice and Interdisciplinary approach to craniofacial malformations.
Actually serves as Associate Professor at the Division of Maxillo-facial Surgery , Dept of Surgical Sciences, University of Torino, Italy.
His activity today is particularly focused in orthognathic surgery, craniofacial conditions , Tmj surgery and orbital surgery. Trauma and reconstructive surgery have been among the field of activity . Main field of research is CAS surgery.
Author of more of 70 indexed papers, Invited speaker in national and international courses, seminars and congresses.
International faculty member of AOCMF ,member of EACMFS, ESTMJS, IAOMFS and SICMF
Bruno Grollemund: Faculté de Chirurgie Dentaire, Université de Strasbourg; Reference Centre for Rare Oral and Dental Diseases; Competence Centre for Cleft Lip and Palate; Competence Centre for Pierre Robin sequences
Pediatric surgery departement
PhD 19/09/2014: “Ethical debate on the question of cleft lip and palate: anticipating the psychological impact for improved therapeutic and societal care” Faculty of Sciences/ Laboratoire d’éthique et de pratiques médicales, University de Strasbourg, France.
From 2015: Hospital pratictioner in orthodontic (Dr Bolender, department) and in plastic and maxillofacial surgery departments in Strasbourg University Hospital (Pr Bruant-Rodier department, Cleft competence center).
From 2017: French delegate for “European Cleft and Craniofacial Initiative for Equality in Care” (ECCE) CA16234 (Martin Jens Persson and Gareth Davies: coordinators)
With more than 40 years of clinical, teaching and research experience in orthodontics and cleft care, Professor Kharbanda is among the pioneers of cleft orthodontics in India and Southeast Asia. He has travelled far and wide across the nations to share rich clinical techniques, treatment outcomes, innovations and research findings, in conferences Symposia and as an Adjunct/Visiting professor to postgraduate orthodontic departments in India, Australia, the USA and Asia. Prof Kharbanda founded "Indi-Cleft." (https://indicleft.icmr.org.in) the ICMR-funded task Force multicenter PAN-INDIA project. He is the author of two books, "Diagnosis and Management of malocclusion and Dentofacial Deformities." (https://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/orthodontics) -diagnosis-and-management-of-malocclusion-and-dentofacial-deformities-9788131248812.html) and the most recent ", Cleft Orthodontics" https://www.thieme.in/Cleft-Orthodontics-Kharbanda), A holistic, interdisciplinary Approach", besides 150 + publications with high and impactful citations.
Dr Kuijpers completed her dental degree at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and her four-year orthodontic specialty training at the University of Geneva, Switzerland. She subsequently moved to Nijmegen, the Netherlands to do her PhD at the Radboud University and became a member of the cleft palate and craniofacial team of the Amalia’s Childrens Hospital of the Radboud University Medical Center.
Dr Kuijpers currently is deputy director of the post graduate program in orthodontics at the Radboud University Medical Center and still is part of the cleft palate craniofacial team. She has published over 30 research papers. Her clinical and research interest include cleft and craniofacial orthodontics, muscular diseases, juvenile idiopathic arthritis as well as orthodontics for individuals with special needs
From 2020: Director of Fetal Therapy Unit “U Nicolini and Obstetrician in
Children Hospital V Buzzi, Milan
Senior obstetrician in the delivery room with more than 3000 delivery/year
Main filed of expertise: Fetal Medicine and Therapy
From 2004 to 2005: Obstetrician in OBV Hospital, Mendrisio Switzerland
First operator in
- 500 fetoscopic laser treatment for twin twin transfusion syndrome in
monochorionic twin pregnancies
- 150 fetal surgery as thoraco-amniotic shunt for pleural effusion, vesicoamniotic
shunt for lower urinary tract obstruction, bipolar cord coagulation
for selective feticide in monochorionic twin pregnancy, laser coagulation of
chorioangioma and fetal vascular malfomation
- 50 intrauterine blood transfusion for fetal anemia
- 500 chorionic villous sampling , almost 1000 amniocentesis
From 2013 to 2015, board member in SIEOG (Italian society for Ultrasound
in Obstetrics and Gynecology)
From 2013 on, coordinator of Multiple pregnancy study gruoup of SIEOG
Hans Mark, has been a consultant in Plastic surgery in Sweden since 1997, and did a Fellowship at Bernard O’Brian Institute of Microsurgery, Melbourne, Australien 1999 and was then Head of Microsurgery, Department of Plastic Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg. He has been National Liason, WSRM, World Society Reconstructive Microsurgery. In 2004 he finished a PhD degree in Gothenburg University in ¨Experimental Studies on fracture healing. Biological and biomechanical aspects¨ He was also the director of studies in Plastic surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital between 2006 and 2010 and he is a Senior Surgeon.
Since 2011 he is Head of Cleft-Lip and Palate team, Sahlgrenska Univeristy Hospital in Gothenburg and since 2017 Associate Professor at Department of Plastic Surgery , Sahlgrenska University Hospital and Institute of Clinical Sciences at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. He has been a board member of Swedish Association of Plastic Surgeons and Swedish Association of Cleft Surgeons as well as President of 10th European Craniofacial Congress, 2015 and is since then Vice President, European Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Association, ECPCA. He is also representative in ERN, European reference network as well as ECCE, European Cleft and Craniofacial initiative for Equality in Care. He is a member of Operation Smile and is in involved in several cleft care program in India, Indonesia and Rumania. He is also a partner of the private practice in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Akademikliniken, Sweden and is a member of Swedish Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery since 20 years.
Assistant Professor and researcher in Maxillofacial Surgery at University of Milano Bicocca – School of Medicine and Surgery.
Consultant at the Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery - San Gerardo Hospital in Monza, Italy Consultant in Maxillo Facial Surgery at the Dept. of Emergency - Niguarda Hospital in Milan, Italy
High specialization in Precision Surgery and technology.
He has been a consultant in Maxillofacial Surgery at Department of maxillofacial Surgery -
Sant ’Anna Hospital – Como Italy (2000-2005)
International Diploma of Expert in Orthognathic Surgery and pre-surgical Orthodontic in 2014 - Universidad Internacional de Catalunya – Barcelona – Spain
Fellow of the European Board of Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery- Union Européenne Des Médecins Specialistes 2008
Master in Forensic Odontology – University of Florence
He acquired a Specialty in Maxillofacial Surgery in 2001, University of Milano.
Clinical training at Dept. of Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery - Manuel Gea Gonzalez Hospital Mexico City -1998 (Prof. F.O.Monasterio)
Member of board of the European Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Association (ECPCA)
Member of European Association for Cranio Maxillo Facial Surgery
Member of Italian Society of Maxillo Facial Surgery (SICMF)
Member of Italian Society of Cleft Lip and Palate (SILPS).
His interests include 3D planning in craniomaxillofacial surgery, navigational surgery, orthognathic surgery , orbital reconstruction.
Cleidocranial dysplasia is a spectrum of disorders caused by heterozygous mutations in the RUNX2 gene (chr. 6p21.1), a transcription factor involved in osteoblast differentiation and skeletal morphogenesis.
Classic cleidocranial dysplasia is characterized by delayed closure of the cranial sutures, clavicular hypoplasia or aplasia resulting in narrow sloping shoulders, dental abnormalities including supernumerary teeth and delayed eruption of permanent teeth, and normal intelligence. Some affected individuals exhibit isolated dental anomalies without skeletal manifestations.
In this talk, I will discus the genetics aspect and inheritance pattern of cleidocranial dysplasia and the main clinical manifestations.
Michele Rubini is professor of Medical Genetics at the University of Ferrara, Italy. He did fellowship at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia with Renato Baserga. His interests include the genetics and epigenetics of non-syndromic orofacial clefts. He has been part of the EUROCRAN and EUROCLEFTNET projects and is now leading the ongoing PENTACLEFT.
Dr. Pradip R. Shetye, is an Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery (Orthodontics) at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, Adjunct Associate Professor of Orthodontics at NYU College of Dentistry, Craniofacial Orthodontist at Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital, Director of Orthodontics and Director of Craniofacial Orthodontic Fellowship Program at Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery, NYU Langone Health, New York City, New York, USA.
Dr. Shetye is an internationally recognized craniofacial orthodontist and has authored over 75 peer-reviewed scientific papers and 30 book chapters. In addition, he has given over 175 scientific presentations at various universities and national and international scientific meetings in over 20 countries. He is also the co-editor of Cleft and Craniofacial Orthodontic book, which is scheduled to be published in early 2023.
Dr. Shetye has received several awards for clinical excellence, The prestigious Daniel Marchac Award from The International Society of Craniofacial Surgeons, Paris, France, the Henry Kawamoto Award from the American Society of Craniofacial Surgeons, the Joseph E. Johnson Award, and the Charles Schultz Award, both from the American Association of Orthodontics and T. C. White Award from the RCPS of Glasgow.
Dr Puneet Batra is an MDS in Orthodontics from the prestigious AIIMS New Delhi. He is the Professor and Director PG Board of Studies, Manav Rachna Dental College Faridabad, Haryana. He is presently the Editor of the Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society (2018-23). He is the Cleft Orthodontist at Global Hospital and Research Centre Mt Abu Rajasthan and Sant Parmanand Hospital, New Delhi. He is the recipient of the PP Jacob award as well as the JG Kannapan award by the Indian Orthodontic Society. He has been awarded the prestigious Commonwealth scholarship at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children London as well as the TC White award in Dunddee Dental School Scotland. He is an MOrth from Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh and an FFD Orth from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He is a Diplomate of Indian Board of Orthodontics (DIBO), DNB in Orthodontics and has done PG Diploma in Hospital Management, PG Diploma in Medico Legal Systems, PG certificate in Oral Implantology. He has more than 100 publications in peer reviewed national and International journals. He has lectured extensively in India and abroad as an invited speaker. He is the Past President of the Indian Society of Cleft Lip and Palate and Craniofacial Anomalies 2019-20. He has been nominated to the Dental Council of India by the Government of India in July 2019. He has been awarded Fellowship by 3 Royal Colleges namely Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Glasgow and England. He is a member of Smile Train India Advisory Council as well as STRIAC Smile Train Research Innovation Advisory Council. He has been recently certified by DRDO in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
Susanna Botticelli, DDS, MSc, Ph.D, is consultant orthodontist at the Cleft Lip and Palate Department in Aarhus-Denmark. She graduated as a dentist from University of Bologna and completed her orthodontic training in 2007 at Aarhus University.
She has been working as a clinician in the Danish Cleft Team since 2007 and conducted a PhD project from 2015 to 2019 at Aarhus University investigating the role of cleft size and morphology in determining dento-facial and speech outcomes in children born with unilateral cleft lip and palate.
She has been teaching pre- and post-graduate students since 2007 and she has been involved in planning the International Short-Term Course in Orthodontics at Aarhus University since 2011. Currently she is co-directing the Short-Term Programme, conducting independent research and supervising post-graduates and research students.
Her main research interests are diagnosis and planning in cleft lip and palate treatment. She is implementing 3D imaging methods based on digital models and intraoral scanning in the assessment of infant cleft size, palatal volume and pre- and post-surgical evaluation of bone grafting procedures. Furthermore, her research focuses on eruption anomalies, impacted teeth and interdisciplinary collaboration.
Memberships and professional affiliations:
Royal College of Dentist Canada (RCDC)
Royal College of Dental Surgeonsof Ontario (RCDSO)
Canadian Association of Orthodontics (CAO)
Ontario Association of Orthodontics (OAO)
American Association of Orthodontics (AAO)
American Cleft PalateDCraniofacial Association (ACPA)
University of Toronto Orthodontic Alumni Association
David is a plastic surgeon based at Royal Childrens Hospital in Melbourne.
He did Cleft Fellowships in Dallas with Ken Salyer, and in Toronto with David Fisher. His interests include involvement with educational initiatives in global health settings, and he is the current Cleft Surgery Training Programme Chairperson at Operation Smile. He is also the current President of the Australasian Cleft Lip and Palate Association.
Dr. Elçin Esenlik is the Chair of the Department of Orthodontics at Akdeniz University, Antalya (Turkey). Following her DDS Degree in 1997, she received her PhD degree in Orthodontics from Ankara University in 2004 and she did private practice in Ankara for 3 years. She worked as a full time faculty at Süleyman Demirel University, Isparta from 2007 to 2017. She became an Assoc. Prof.Dr. in 2013 in the same university. She was involved in the Cleft and Orthognathic Surgery Team in Isparta. She was a Research Fellow in the Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery at New York University Medical School (2015-2016).
Dr. Elçin Esenlik conducted many clinical and experimental research projects in the areas of cleft lip and palate treatment and functional orthopedics. Twenty five doctorate students and residents graduated under her consultation. She was assigned to many administrative tasks in the University like Vice Chair and Coordinator of the Education of the Health Science Institute and she has many international and national publications and presentations. She organized an International Craniofacial Anomalies Congress in 2013 and, in the same year, organized a Presurgical Infant Orthopedics Workshop with Dr. Latham and Dr. Spolyar in Isparta,Turkey. She also attended three NAM workshops (Dr. Grayson) at NYU. She was a faculty in Global Smile Foundation workshops and the past co-chair of “Comprehensive Cleft Care Workshop in Istanbul (2021)”. Dr. Esenlik has focused on craniofacial orthodontics including cleft lip and palate treatment, presurgical infant orthopedics, orthognathic surgery, distraction osteogenesis, functional orthopedic treatments, skeletal anchorage based orthopedic treatments, and accelerated orthodontic tooth movement.
Roberto L . Flores, MD, is the Joseph G. McCarthy Associate Professor of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, Director of Cleft Lip and Palate and the Craniofacial Surgery Fellowship Director in the Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery at NYU Langone Health and a member of Smile Train's Global Medical Advisory Board. Dr. Flores is an internationally recognized leader in cleft lip and palate, Pierre Robin sequence and surgical simulation. Through strategic partnerships between philanthropy, industry and medicine, he has created three, freely available, web-based multimedia plastic surgery simulators, including the Smile Train Virtual Surgery Simulator, the most widely utilized surgical simulator for cleft lip and palate reconstruction with over 5000 users. He currently has over one million dollars in NIH funding to investigate bone tissue engineering solutions in the growing craniofacial skeleton
- June 1995: High School degree of Maturità Classica at the Istituto Leone XIII of Milan, final score 58 out of 60.
- July 2001: Medical School degree at the Università degli Studi di Milano, final votation 110 out of 110 cum laude.
- November 2006: Neurosurgery Residency Program degree at the Università degli Studi di Milano, final votation 70/70 cum laude
- USMLE: United States Medical Licensing Examination obtained in August 2007 ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) certified
- In June 2011: PhD (Research Doctorate) in Neuropsychology degree at the University Paul Sabatier of Toulouse, France, under the direction of Professor Franck-Emmanuel Roux and Professor Jean François Dèmonet.
Fellowships and Research Experiences
- September 2001 - June 2002: J 1 VISA to work as Research Fellow at the Brain Tumor Laboratory of the Department of Neurosurgery of Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston under the direction of Professor Peter M. Black.
- November 2005 - November 2006 (fifth year of residency program) Resident at the Dept.of Neurosurgery, Universite’ Paul Sabatier de Toulouse, France fellowship in Brain Tumor Surgery and Human Brain Mapping. Service de Neurochirurgie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Purpan, Toulouse, France. Under the direction of Professor Franck-Emmanuel Roux
- January 2007 - November 2007 Neuro-Oncology and Brain Mapping Fellow at the Division of Neurosurgery, Dept. of Neurological Sciences of the Universita’ degli Studi di Milano, Fondazione Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, IRCCS , Milano. Under the direction of Professor Sergio Maria Gaini.
- July 2008 - May 2009 Senior Fellow in Pediatric Neurosurgery, Dept. of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle WA. Under the direction of Professor Richard G. Ellenbogen.
From May 2009 Attending Neurosurgeon at the Clinica Neurochirurgia, Università degli Studi Milano-Bicocca, Osp. San Gerardo dei Tintori, Monza, Italy.
Head of the Functional Operative Unit of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
From March 2015 Associate Professor of Neurosurgery and Vice Chairman at the Università degli Studi Milano-Bicocca.
From July 2017 affiliated Associate Professor of Neurological Surgery at the Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, USA.
The surgical activity is focused on Brain Trauma, Neuro-Oncology, Vascular Neurosurgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
1) Low-dose Chemotherapy Combined with an Antiangiogenic Drug Reduces Human Glioma Growth in Vivo. L. Bello, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, V. Lucini, F. Cerutti, F. Scaglione, J. Landré, M. Pluderi, G. Tomei, R. Villani, R.S. Carroll, P. McL Black, A.Bikfalvi. Cancer Research 61, October 17, 2001.
2) Simultaneous Inhibition of Glioma Angiogenesis, Cell Proliferation, and Invasion by a naturally Occurring fragment of Human metalloproteinase-2. L. Bello, V. Lucini, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, M. Machluf, M. Pluderi, D. Nikas, J. Zhang, G. Tomei, R.M. Villani, R.S. Carroll, A. Bikfalvi, P.M. Black. Cancer Research 61, December 15, 2001.
3) Suppression of Malignant Glioma Recurrence, in a Newly Developed Animal Model by Endogenous Inhibitors. L. Bello, C. Giussani, G. Carrabba, M. Pluderi, V. Lucini, M. Pannacci, D. Caronzolo, G. Tomei, R. Villani, F. Scaglione, R.S. Carroll, P. M. Black. Clinical Cancer Research 8, November 2002.
4) Domain Swapping in COOH-terminal Fragment of Platelet Factor 4 Generates Potent Angiogenesis Inhibitors. M. Hagedorn, L. Zilberberg, J. Wilting, X. Canron, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, M. Pluderi, L. Bello, A. Bikfalvi. Cancer Research 62, December 1, 2002.
5) IS201, a Specific alphavbeta 3 Integrin Inhibitor, Reduces Glioma Growth in Vivo.
- Bello, V. Lucini, C. Giussani, G. Carrabba, M. Pluderi, F. Scaglione, G. Tomei, R. Villani, A. Bikfalvi, P.M. Black, R.S. Carroll. Neurosurgery 52, January, 2003.
6) Local Intracerebral Delivery of Endogenous Inhibitors by Osmotic Minipumps Effectively Suppresses Glioma Growth in Vivo. C. Giussani, G. Carrabba, M. Pluderi, V. Lucini, M. Pannacci, D. Caronzolo, F. Costa, M. Minotti, G. Tomei, R. Villani, A. Bikfalvi, L. Bello. Cancer Research 63,May 15, 2003.
7) Long-Term Inhibition of Glioma Growth by Systemic Administration of Human PEX. M. Pluderi, V. Lucini, D. Caronzolo, M. Pannacci, F. Costa, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, S.Grosso, F. Colleoni, F. Scaglione, R. Villani, A. Bikfalvi, L. Bello. J Neurosurg Sci. 2003 Jun;47(2):69-78
8) Antiangiogenic Therapy by Local Intracerebral Microinfusion Improves Treatment Efficiency and Survival in an Orthotopic Human Glioblastoma Model. N.O. Schmidt, M. Ziu, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, L. Bello, Y. Sun, K. Schmidt, M. Albert, P. McL Black, R.S. Carrol. Clinical Cancer Research, vol 10. February 15, 2004.
9) Combinatorial Administration of Molecules That Simultaneously Inhibit Angiogenesis and Invasion Leads to Increased Therapeutic Efficacy in Mouse Models of Malignant Glioma. L. Bello, V.Lucini, F. Costa, M. Pluderi, C. Giussani, F. Acerbi, G. Carrabba, M. Pannacci, D. Caronzolo, S. Grosso, S. Shinkaruk, F. Colleoni, X. Canyon, G. Tomei, G. Deleris, A.Bikfalvi. Clinical Cancer Research, vol 10. July 1, 2004.
10) Intraoperative Language Localization in Multilingual Patients with Gliomas. L. Bello, F. Acerbi, C. Giussani, P. Baratta, P. Taccone, V. Songa, M. Fava, N. Stocchetti, C. Papagno, SM Gaini. Neurosurgery vol 59: 115-125. 2006.
11) Subcortical motor mapping: what DTI tractography adds to intraoperative monitoring. L. Bello, E. Fava, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, F. Portaluri, A. Castellano, A. Gambini, S.M. Gaini, A. Falini. Rivista Medica vol 12, N 1-2: 23-27. 2006.
12) Motor brain mapping with polygraphic recording of EMG responses and of cerebral activity. E. Fava, F. Lang, L. Bello, G. Carrabba, C. Giussani, F. Portaluri, V. Conte, N. Stecchetti, S.M. Gaini. Rivista Medica vol 12, N 1-2: 23-27. 2006.
13) Intraoperative subcortical language tract mapping guides surgical removal of gliomas involving speech areas. Bello L, Gallucci M, Fava M, Carrabba G, Giussani C, Acerbi F, Baratta P, Songa V, Conte V, Branca V, Stocchetti N, Papagno C, Gaini SM. Neurosurgery vol 60: 1-14, January 2007.
14) Effect of Human Skin-Derived Stem Cells on Vessel Architecture, Tumor Growth, and Tumor Invasion in Brain Tumor Animal Models. Federica Pisati, Marzia Belicchi, Francesco Acerbi,Chiara Marchesi, Carlo Giussani, Manuela Gavina, Sophie Javerzat, Martin Hagedorn, Giorgio Carrabba, Valeria Lucini, Sergio Maria Gaini, Nereo Bresolin, Lorenzo Bello, Andreas Bikfalvi, and Yvan Torrente. Cancer Res 2007; 67: (7). April 1, 2007
15) When “Abegg” is read and (“A, B, E, G, G”) is not: a cortical stimulation study of musical score reading. Franck-Emmanuel Roux, Vincent Lubrano, Jean-Albert Lotterie, Carlo Giussani, Clémence Pierroux, Jean-François Dèmonet. Journal of Neurosurgery vol 106, 1017-1027. 2007
16) Review of language organization in bilingual patients: what can we learn from direct brain mapping? Carlo Giussani, Franck-Emmanuel Roux, Vincent Lubrano, Sergio M. Gaini, Lorenzo Bello. Acta Neurochirurgica
17) Cortical and subcortical motor mapping in rolandic and perirolandic glioma surgery: impact on postoperative morbidity and extent of resection. Giorgio Carrabba, Carlo Giussani, Enrica Fava, Francesco Acerbi, Francesco Portaluri, Valeria Songa, Nino Stecchetti, Vincenzo Branca, Sergio M. Gaini, Lorenzo Bello. J Neurosurg Sci. 2007 Jun;51(2):45-51.
18) Motor and language DTI Fiber Tracking combined with intraoperative subcortical mapping for surgical removal of gliomas. Bello L, Gambini A, Castellano A, Carrabba G, Acerbi F, Fava E, Giussani C, Cadioli M, Blasi V, Casarotti A, Papagno C, Gupta AK, Gaini S, Scotti G, Falini A. Neuroimage. 2007 Aug 29.
19) Cortical areas involved in Arabic number reading. Roux FE, Lubrano V, Lauwers-Cances V, Giussani C, Démonet JF. Neurology. 2008 Jan 15;70(3):210-7.
20) Who is Who? A cortical stimulation study on Famous Face Naming Areas. Giussani C, Roux FE, Bello L, Lauwers-Cances V, Papagno C, Gaini SM, Puel M, Démonet JF. J Neurosurg. 2009 Feb;110(2):289-99. 2009
21) Severely symptomatic craniovertebral junction abnormalities in children. Long-term reliability of aggressive management. Giussani C, Roux FE, Guerra p, Pirillo D, Grimaldi M, Citerio G, Sganzerla EP. Pediatric Neurosurgery
22) Mirror of the Soul: a cortical stimulation study on face emotions recognition. Giussani C, Pirillo D, Roux FE. J Neurosurg. 2010 Mar;112(3):520-7.
23 ) The graphemic/motor frontal area Exner's area revisited. Roux FE, Dufor O, Giussani C, Wamain Y, Draper L, Longcamp M, Démonet JF. Ann Neurol. 2009 Oct;66(4):537-45.
24) Treatment of intermittent obstructive hydrocephalus secondary to a choroid plexus cyst. Filardi TZ, Finn L, Gabikian P, Giussani C, Ebenezer S, Avellino AM. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009 Dec;4(6):571-4.
25) Is postoperative CT scanning predictive of subdural electrode placement complications in pediatric epileptic patients? Giussani C, Filardi T, Bunyaratavej K, Mai JC, Ogino M, Greene S, Browd SR, Avellino AM, Ellenbogen RG, Ojemann JG. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2009;45(5):345-9.
26) Influenza A (H1N1) encephalitis with severe intracranial hypertension. Citerio G, Sala F, Patruno A, Gori A, Grioni D, Rossi M, Giussani C, Grimaldi M. Minerva Anestesiol. 2010 Jun;76(6):459-62.
27) DTI fiber tracking to differentiate demyelinating diseases from diffuse brain stem glioma. Giussani C, Poliakov A, Ferri RT, Plawner LL, Browd SR, Shaw DW, Filardi TZ, Hoeppner C, Geyer JR, Olson JM, Douglas JG, Villavicencio EH, Ellenbogen RG, Ojemann JG. Neuroimage. 2010 Aug 1;52(1):217-23.
28) Is preoperative functional magnetic resonance imaging reliable for language areas mapping in brain tumor surgery? Review of language functional magnetic resonance imaging and direct cortical stimulation correlation studies. Giussani C, Roux FE, Ojemann J, Sganzerla EP, Pirillo D, Papagno C. Neurosurgery. 2010 Jan;66(1):113-20. Review.
29) Connectivity constraints on cortical reorganization of neural circuits involved in object naming. Papagno C, Gallucci M, Casarotti A, Castellano A, Falini A, Fava E, Giussani C, Carrabba G, Bello L, Caramazza A. Neuroimage. 2011 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print]
30) Anatomical correlates for category specific naming of Living and Non-Living Things. Giussani C, Riva M, Gallucci M, Boukhatem L, Sganzerla EP, Demonet JF, Roux FE. Neuroimage. 2011 Feb 3.
31) Sentence translation in proficient bilinguals: A direct electrostimulation brain mapping. Borius PY, Giussani C, Draper L, Roux FE. Cortex. 2011 Mar 4.
32) An Intracranial Aneurysm and Dural Arteriovenous Fistula in a Newborn. Ko A, Filardi T, Giussani C, Ghodke R, Browd SR. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2011 May 3;46(6):450-456.
33) Cavum Veli Interpositi: Just an Anatomical Variant or a Potentially Symptomatic CSF Compartmentalization? Giussani C, Fiori L, Trezza A, Riva M, Sganzerla EP. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2011;47(5):364-8
34) Inhalation versus endovenous sedation in subarachnoid hemorrhage patients: Effects on regional cerebral blood flow. Villa F; Iacca C; Forastieri Molinari A; Giussani C; Aletti G; Pesenti A; Citerio G. Crit Care Med 2012 Vol. 40, No. 10.
35) The association of neural axis and craniovertebral junction anomalies with scoliosis in Rubinstein-Taybi syndrome. Giussani C, Selicorni A, Fossati C, Ingelmo P, Canonico F, Landi A, Trezza A, Riva M, Sganzerla EP.Childs Nerv Syst. 2012 Dec;28(12):2163-8.
36) Optimized system for cerebral perfusion monitoring in the rat stroke model of intraluminal middle cerebral artery occlusion. Beretta S, Riva M, Carone D, Cuccione E, Padovano G, Rodriguez Menendez V, Pappadá GB, Versace A, Giussani C, Sganzerla EP, Ferrarese C. J Vis Exp. 2013 Feb 17;(72).
37) Collagenopathy with a phenotype resembling silver-russell syndrome phenotype. Cianci P, Paterlini G, Tagliabue P, Verderio M, Vergani P, Bianchi ML, Giussani C, Kullmann G, Mazzoleni F, Bozzetti A, Selicorni A. Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Oct;161A(10):2681-4.
38) Ganglioglioma of the spinal cord in neurofibromatosis type 1. Giussani C, Isimbaldi G, Massimino M, Trezza A, Cianci P, Canonico F, Sganzerla EP. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2013;49(1):50-4.
39) Craniovertebral junction pathological features and their management in the mucopolysaccharidoses. Sganzerla EP, Giussani C, Grimaldi M, Parini R, Ingelmo P, Trezza A, Visocchi M. Adv Tech Stand Neurosurg. 2014;40:313-31.
40) Incidence of pain after craniotomy in children. Bronco A, Pietrini D, Lamperti M, Somaini M, Tosi F, del Lungo LM, Zeimantz E, Tumolo M, Lampugnani E, Astuto M, Perna F, Zadra N, Meneghini L, Benucci V, Bussolin L, Scolari A, Savioli A, Locatelli BG, Prussiani V, Cazzaniga M, Mazzoleni F, Giussani C, Rota M, Ferland CE, Ingelmo PM. Paediatr Anaesth. 2014 Jul;24(7):781-7.
41) Cervical spine malformation in cornelia de lange syndrome: a report of three patients. Bettini LR, Locatelli L, Mariani M, Cianci P, Giussani C, Canonico F, Cereda A, Russo S, Gervasini C, Biondi A, Selicorni A. Am J Med Genet A. 2014 Jun;164A(6):1520-4.
42) Cartographie cérebralé par électrostimulation directe : le bilinguisme. Fe Roux, I Djidjeli, C. Giussani, PY Borius, JF Demonet. E-mémoires de L’Académie Nationale de Chirurgie, 2014, 13 (3): 061 X 065
43) Cerebral collateral flow defines topography and evolution of molecular penumbra in experimental ischemic stroke. Beretta S, Cuccione E, Versace A, Carone D, Riva M, Padovano G, Dell'Era V, Cai R, Monza L, Presotto L, Rousseau D, Chauveau F, Paternò G, Pappadà GB, Giussani C, Sganzerla EP, Ferrarese C. Neurobiol Dis. 2015 Feb;74:305-13. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2014.11.019. Epub 2014 Dec 5.
44) Experimental in-vivo model of intravascular shunting for neurosurgical by-pass. Riva M, Beretta S, Carone D, Pappada' G, Bruneau M, Giussani C, Paterno' G, Versace A, Ferrarese C, Sganzerla E. J Neurosurg Sci. 2015 Apr 24.
45) Enzymatic replacement therapy for Hunter disease: Up to 9 years experience with 17 patients. Parini R, Rigoldi M, Tedesco L, Boffi L, Brambilla A, Bertoletti S, Boncimino A, Del Longo A, De Lorenzo P, Gaini R, Gallone D, Gasperini S, Giussani C, Grimaldi M, Grioni D, Meregalli P, Messinesi G, Nichelli F, Romagnoli M, Russo P, Sganzerla E, Valsecchi G, Biondi A. Mol Genet Metab Rep. 2015 Apr 22;3:65-74. doi: 10.1016/j.ymgmr.2015.03.011. eCollection 2015 Jun.
46) Variability of intraoperative electrostimulation parameters in conscious individuals: language cortex. Roux FE, Durand JB, Djidjeli I, Moyse E, Giussani C. J Neurosurg. 2016 Jul 15:1-12.
47) Photometric evaluation of cranial and facial symmetry in hemicoronal single suture synostosis treated with surgical fronto-orbital remodeling. Mazzoleni F, Meazzini MC, Novelli G, Basile V, Giussani C, Bozzetti A. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2016 May 24. pii: S1010-5182(16)30064-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jcms.2016.05.012.
48) Final results of the second prospective AIEOP protocol for pediatric intracranial ependymoma. Massimino M, Miceli R, Giangaspero F, Boschetti L, Modena P, Antonelli M, Ferroli P, Bertin D, Pecori E, Valentini L, Biassoni V, Garrè ML, Schiavello E, Sardi I, Cama A, Viscardi E, Scarzello G, Scoccianti S, Mascarin M, Quaglietta L, Cinalli G, Diletto B, Genitori L, Peretta P, Mussano A, Buccoliero A, Calareso G, Barra S, Mastronuzzi A, Giussani C, Marras CE, Balter R, Bertolini P, Giombelli E, La Spina M, Buttarelli FR, Pollo B, Gandola L. Neuro Oncol. 2016 May 18. pii: now108.
49) Early Prenatal MRI of Cervical "Abortive" Myelocystocele: Case Report and Review of the Literature. Talenti G, Giussani C, Parazzini C, Izzo G, Canonico F, Vergani P, Righini A. Neuropediatrics. 2016 Nov 23. [Epub ahead of print]
50) Intracerebral hemorrhage in intensive care unit: early prognostication fallacies. A single center retrospective study. Spina S, Marzorati C, Vargiolu A, Magni F, Riva M, Rota M, Giussani C, Sganzerla EP, Citerio G.Minerva Anestesiol. 2017 Nov 6. doi: 10.23736/S0375-9393.17.12225-X. [Epub ahead of print]
51) Indocyanine Green Videoangiography in Aneurysm Surgery: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Riva M, Amin-Hanjani S, Giussani C, De Witte O, Bruneau M. Neurosurgery. 2017 Aug 2. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyx387. [Epub ahead of print]
52) Brain ultrasound rehearsal before surgery: A pilot cadaver study. Giussani C, Riva M, Djonov V, Beretta S, Prada F, Sganzerla E.Clin Anat. 2017 Nov;30(8):1017-1023. doi: 10.1002/ca.22919. Epub 2017 Jul 26.
53) Effectiveness of Intraventricular Endoscopic Lamina Terminalis Fenestration in Comparison with Standard ETV: Systematic Review of Literature. Giussani C, Guida L, Trezza A, Sganzerla EP. World Neurosurg. 2017 Jul;103:257-264. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2017.03.143. Epub 2017 Apr 8. Review.
54) Negative pressure wound therapy in complex cranio-maxillofacial and cervical wounds. Novelli G, Daleffe F, Birra G, Canzi G, Mazzoleni F, Boni P, Maino C, Giussani C, Sozzi D, Bozzetti A. Int Wound J. 2018 Feb;15(1):16-23. doi: 10.1111/iwj.12802. Epub 2017 Nov 23.
55) Peri-electrode edema after bilateral subthalamic deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. Trezza A, Landi A, Pilleri M, Antonini A, Giussani C, Sganzerla EP. J Neurosurg Sci. 2018 Feb;62(1):103-105. doi: 10.23736/S0390-5616.16.03421-4.
56) Technical considerations of a tailored rigid endoscopic evacuation of ventricular hemorrhage. Giussani C, Trezza A, Patruno A, Fiori L, Sganzerla EP. J Neurosurg Sci. 2018 Jun;62(3):373-375. doi: 10.23736/S0390-5616.16.03734-6. Epub 2018 Feb 19
57) Changes in resting-state connectivity in pediatric temporal lobe epilepsy. Grassia F, Poliakov AV, Poliachik SL, Casimo K, Friedman SD, Shurtleff H, Giussani C, Novotny EJ Jr, Ojemann JG, Hauptman JS. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2018 Sep;22(3):270-275. doi: 10.3171/2018.3.PEDS17701. Epub 2018 Jun 22.
58) Pediatric intracranial ependymoma: correlating signs and symptoms at recurrence with outcome in the second prospective AIEOP protocol follow-up. Massimino M, Barretta F, Modena P, Giangaspero F, Chiapparini L, Erbetta A, Boschetti L, Antonelli M, Ferroli P, Bertin D, Pecori E, Biassoni V, Garrè ML, Schiavello E, Sardi I, Viscardi E, Scarzello G, Mascarin M, Quaglietta L, Cinalli G, Genitori L, Peretta P, Mussano A, Barra S, Mastronuzzi A, Giussani C, Marras CE, Balter R, Bertolini P, Tornesello A, La Spina M, Buttarelli FR, Ruggiero A, Caldarelli M, Poggi G, Gandola L. J Neurooncol. 2018 Aug 14. doi: 10.1007/s11060-018-2974-6.
59) Extensive dural ossification following decompressive posttraumatic craniectomy: a case report and review of the Literature. Guida L, Mazzoleni F, Bozzetti A, Sganzerla E, Giussani C. World Neurosurg. 2018 Aug 24. pii: S1878-8750(18)31898-9. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.08.115.
60) Cerebral and occipito-atlanto-axial involvement in mucopolysaccharidosis patients: clinical, radiological, and neurosurgical features. Giussani C, Guida L, Canonico F, Sganzerla EP Ital J Pediatr. 2018 Nov 16;44(Suppl 2):119. doi: 10.1186/s13052-018-0558-x. Review.
61) Safety and efficacy of Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy in Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma related hydrocephalus: a Systematic Review. Guida L, Roux FE, Massimino M, Marras CE, Sganzerla E, Giussani C.World Neurosurg. 2018 Dec 29. pii: S1878-8750(18)32919-X. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2018.12.096. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
62) Specific Expression of a New Bruton Tyrosine Kinase Isoform (p65BTK) in the Glioblastoma Gemistocytic Histotype. Sala L, Cirillo G, Riva G, Romano G, Giussani C, Cialdella A, Todisco A, Virtuoso A, Cerrito MG, Bentivegna A, Grassilli E, Ardizzoia A, Bonoldi E, Giovannoni R, Papa M, Lavitrano M.Front Mol Neurosci. 2019 Jan 24;12:2. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2019.00002. eCollection 2019.
Chapters in published books
- Angiogenesis and Invasion in Gliomas. L. Bello, C. Giussani, G. Carrabba, M. Pluderi, F. Costa, A. Bikfalvi. In Kirsch M and Black PMcL (eds.), Angiogenesis in Brain Tumors, pp 267-289, Boston, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 2003.
- Neurosurgical complications and their management in mucopolysaccharidosis. Carlo Giussani, Sara Miori and Erik P. Sganzerla. In Rossella Parini and Generoso Andria Mariani Foundation Pediatric Neurology; 23 (eds.), chapter 11; Lysosomal Storage Diseases early Diagnosis and New Treatment, pp 107-119, 2010.
- Neoplasie intracraniche. Erik P. Sganzerla, Carlo Giussani. In Carlo Ferrarese, Core Curriculum, Malattie del Sistema nervoso, pp 265-273, Milano, McGraw-Hill, 2011
- Surgery for temporal lobe epilepsy. Cahpter 51, Jeffery J. Ojemann, Carlo Giussani, Carlo Marras. In Richard Ellenbogen, Saleem Abdulrauf, Laligam Sekhar, Principles of Neurological Surgery 3rd Edition, pp 765-772, Philadelphia, Elsevier, 2012
- Multimodal Imaging in Glioma Surgery. Chapter 8, Andrej Šteno , Carlo Giussani, Matteo Riva. In Prada, Solbiati, Martegani,, Di Meco, Intraoperative Ultrasound (IOUS) in Neurosurgery From Standard B-mode to Elastosonography Editors, Springer, 2016
From 2006: member of the Italian Society for Neurosurgery SINCH
From 2012: faculty of AO Neuro/Neuro Global Neuro Italian section.
From 2018: member of the European Association of Pediatric Neurosurgery ESPN
From 2017 member of the ERN CRANIO for the Hospital San Gerardo at the European Reference Network for Rare Disease, European Commission
Dr Cristina Incorvati graduated in Dental Medicine and Surgery at the University of Chieti (Italy) in 1988. She earned the Post-Graduade Preceptor Program in Orthodontics at UCLA School of Dentistry dept.of Orthodontics in 1991. She obtained the American Certificate in Orthodontics from the Eastman Institute For Oral Health, University of Rochester , NY-USA in 1993. She followed the Post-graduate program in Presurgical Orthodontics at University of Parma (Italy) 1995. She completed the Italian Certificate and Master in Orthodontics at the University of Ferrara (Italy) in 1999. She has been Visiting Professor in Orthodontics at the University of Ferrara from 1999 until 2006. She has been Visiting Professor at the University of Bologna “ALMA MATER” during the Master Course in Presurgical Orthodontics at the Dept. of Maxillo- Facial Surgery University Of Bologna in 2010. From 2019-2021 she has been Research fellow at department of Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgery DIBINEM, Alma Mater Studiorum Unibo.
From 2021 to present she is orthodontist consultant at department of Oral Surgery ,DIBINEM , Alma Mater Studiorum UniBo.
Since 2013 She is Operation Smile Orthodontist-volunteer at Smile House Milano :Regional Center For Cleft Lip and Palate and Craniofacial deformities, San Paolo Hospital University of Milano.
Member of the Italian Society of Orthodontics (SIDO),
American Association of Othodontics (AAO),
EASTMAN ALUMNI ORTHODONTICS UOR ,
Italian Association of Specialist in Orthodontics (ASIO)
Italian Society of Cleft Lip and Palate (SILPS).Since 2019 she is treasure at Silps.
Since 1994 she has a private-practice limited to orthodontics for children and adults in Bologna e Pescara.
Dr. Eric Liou is an associate professor in the Department of Craniofacial Orthodontics, and Graduate Institute of Craniofacial Medicine of Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan. He is also a visiting professor in the Department of Orthodontics, Showa University, Tokyo, Japan. Dr. Liou also maintain his practice in the DentWay International Dental Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan. For the profession affiliations, Dr. Liou currently is the President of Asian Pacific Orthodontic Society, Editor in Chief of APOS Trends in Orthodontics, and ECM of World Federation of Orthodontists.
His main clinical and research interests are in TADs, orthodontic tooth movement, surgical and non-surgical innovative approaches for canting, facial asymmetry, Class III malocclusion in growing or non-growing patients, and treatment for cleft lip and palate and craniofacial anomalies.
Dr. Liou has numerous presentations especially on the topics of Class III or cleft lip and palate and craniofacial anomalies orthognathic camouflage treatment, treatment of occlusal cant and facial asymmetry with yin-yang arch wires, accelerated orthodontic tooth movement with PRP, maxillary orthopedic protraction, surgery first orthognathic approach, and TADs.
Born in Bergamo, Italy Feb 21, 1965
• 1984: High School degree in Dental Technician at the Istituto Fratelli Calvi of Bergamo, final score 50 out of 60
At the Università degli Studi di Milano:
• 1992 Graduated in Medicine, cum laude
• 1997 Maxillo Facial Surgery residency program degree, cum laude
• 2000 Sperimental Surgery and Microsurgery residency program degree, cum laude
FELLOWSHIPS AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCES
• 1996 Surgical Training on Craniofacial malformation at Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department at Ospital Gea Gonzales Mexico City. (Head of Dept Prof. Fernando Ortiz Monasterio)
• 1998 Surgical Training on Craniofacial malformation at Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department at Ospital Gea Gonzales Mexico City. (Head of Dept Prof. Fernando Ortiz Monasterio)
• 1999 Surgical Training on Classic and steodistractive Orthognatic Surgery Dr Jean François TULASNE Clinique Blomet Parigi
• 1999 March 1 to 3 Course on Orthodontics and Orthognatic Surgery Concepts in Excellence,G. William Arnett DDS, Vigevano Italy
• EBOMFS European Board Of Oral and Maxillo-Facial Surgery Union Europèenne des Mèdicins Spècialistes 2012 Duvbronik
• Referent of ERN European Reference Network on Craniofacial malformation Active member in the craniosynostosis, craniofacial synostosis and
Pierre Robin sequence groups
• From 1999 Consultant as Craniofacial Surgeon in the Department of Plastic and Maxillo-Facial Surgery at San Gerardo Hospital in Monza – University of Milano Bicocca
• From 2008 Role of High Specialization on raniofacial Malformation
• From 2022 Head of Craniofacial Malformative Surgery Unit at Ospedale San Gerardo in Monza – University Milano bicocca
• Consultant in craniofacial malformation at the
Carlo Besta Institute Milan and Niguarda Hospital Milan
• In 2015 Director of Maxillo-facial department of Papa Giovanni XXIII hospital of Bergamo
• Adjunct Professor in Craniofacial Malformative Surgery, University of Milano Bicocca
The surgical activity is focused on:
Craniofacial Malformation, Orthognatic Surgery and Craniofacial Trauma.
More than : - 850 major surgical procedure*
- 1100 medium surgical procedure*
- 2500 minor surgical procedure*
*According to the EBOMFS classifcation
PAPERS PUBLISHED and CHAPTERS IN PUBLISHED BOOKS
• Author and co-author in
35 international papers
3 books on craniofacial malformation
• Is Active members of
- From 2003 member of :European Association Cranio maxillofacial surgery EACMS
- From 2001 member of :Società Italiana di Chirurgia maxillo-facciale SICMF
- From 2002 member of: Soc.Italiana labiopalatoschisi e malformazioni craniofacciali SILPS
• Treasurer of the European Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Association (ECPCA)
Martin Persson is a professor of health sciences at Kristianstad University, Sweden. One of his primary research interests is working with individuals with visible differences or negative body image concerning psychosocial and public health aspects. He has extensive knowledge of working with socially disadvantaged groups across Europe and specialises in the methodological and pedagogical development of courses ranging from basic to advanced levels in psychology, public health, and health education. In addition, Martin is passionate about developing training programs and knowledge mobilisation activities based on evidence-based research in order to reach relevant stakeholders. He has considerable experience coordinating and managing over 40 international projects and has attracted over €11 million in funding to support psychosocial, health and educational activities. He has a PhD in Medicine, Masters Degree in Public Health and Psychology. His research has been published in academic peer-review journals. Over the last 15 years, he facilitated a variety of keynotes, lectures, workshops, and symposiums for professionals, students, and users in his areas of expertise in Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America. Martin was also the Chair of the EU COST Action CA16234 "European Cleft and Craniofacial Initiative for Equality in Care", a Horizon 2020 funded network of researchers and practitioners from 26 European countries that ended in April 2022.
Sara Rizell graduated in dentistry at the University of Gothenburg 1989 and is specialist in Orthodontics since 2004. She is consultant orthodontist in Gothenburg Cleft Lip and Palate team since 2005. She has a PhD in Orthodontics, and the research topics are craniofacial growth and dental anomalies in CLP and craniofacial syndromes, including Scandcleft randomized trials of primary surgery for UCLP.
From 2000 till now works as Orthodontic Consultant at Santi Paolo e Carlo Hospital in the Regional center for Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome.
From 2011 till now works as Orthodontic Consultant at Ospedale Santi Paolo e Carlo, Milan ( Clinical Director Dr.Luca Autelitano).
From 2005 till now works at Studio Odontoiatrico Associato dei Dott. Tortora Ezio, Maffucci Giancarlo, Trovesi Barbara, Tortora Chiara, Via Locatelli 6, 20124, Milan, at the Clinic “Narcodont”, Piazza S.Ambrogio 16, 20123, Milano and collaborates with Dr. MC Meazzini at the “Studio Odontoiatrico Tintinelli R. Rossi G”, Galleria Buenos Aires 9, 20124, Milan.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
From 2002 till 2009 : Internship at the Orthodontics’ ward helded by Professor Giovanna Garattini at Medicine, Surgery and Dentistry Department, Dental Building (Milan).
From 2002 till 2011 attends the Maxillo-facial ward, hold by Professor Roberto Brusati at the Medicine and Surgery Department, San Paolo Hospital (Milan).
November 2008: Medical specialty in Orthodontics , grades 70/70 with honors. Thesis Tiltle “Maxillary hypoplasia in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients: a multidisciplinary approach in the research of one cause:” (Mentor: Chiar.mo Prof. Antonino Salvato e Co-mentor: Prof.ssa Giovanna Garattini).
February 2006 Orthodontics specialization faculty’s enrollment at the State University of Milan.
January 31st 2005: enrollment at the Medicine and Dentistry Association of Milan.
November 10 2004: Dentistry graduation: 107/110, at the State University of Milan with a sperimental thesis in Orthodontics titled: “Maxillo-facial growth in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients at 5 and 10 years old: comparison of two surgical protocol”. (Mentor: Professor Giovanna Garattini and Co-mentor Dr. MC. Meazzini).
September 1999: Faculty of Dentistry enrollment at the State University of Milan.
July 1999: High school graduation in Classic Studies at the Lyceum Classico Sperimentale “Vittoria Colonna” of Milan.
CONGRESSES AND COURSES
- June 2-5 2022 “1st International Congress on Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome” with the presentation “multidisciplinary approach for the diagnosis, care and treatment of macroglossia in children affected by BWS “, Cervia.
- May 15-16th 2022 “Aligner Orthodontics fan advanced”, Firenze.
- April 4-6 2022: “Orthodontic solutions: treating and finishing with excellence”, Milano.
- October 18-19 2019 partecipa all’ 11° Congresso Nazionale SILPS, Milano con una comunicazione libera dal titolo: Macroglossia in patients affected by Becwith-Wiedemann Syndrome: a Case report
- September 27-28 2019 “Diventa anche tu un alignerpro”, Milano.
- June 12-15 2019 Congress ECPCA (European Cleft Palate Craniofacial Association) con l’ Abstract: BWS protocol based on cephalometric and photometric findings.
- June 1st 2019 “Faccette in ceramica nei settori anteriori, indicazioni, preparazioni, incollaggio” Torino.
- April 6th 2019 “Come riabilitare il paziente bruxista” Hotel Ca’ Granda, Milano.
- March 9 2019 “Il lifting del sorriso con le faccette in ceramica” Hotel Ca’ Granda, Milano.
- November 23rd 2018: “Restauri anteriori in ceramica integrale” Hotel Ca’ Granda, Milano.
- November 17th 2018: “Attualità nel trattamento odontostomatologico e chirurgico maxillo facciale delle OSAS” Westin Palace, Milan.
- October 27th 2018: “Approccio multidisciplinare alla LPS” Complesso Monumentale S.Spirito in Sassia, Rome.
- December 19th 2017 Lecturer at the course “Being dentists with Operation Smile” Santa Maria della Pietà, Rome.
- 20-22nd March 2017: BWS Consensus Meeting, Le Coudray Montceaux/France
- May 13th 2016: 10° Congresso Nazionale SILPS Bologna, Policlinico Sant’Orsola Malpighi, “Orthopaedic advancement of the maxilla with modify Alt-Ramec technique in a UCLP patient: follow-up to 18 years of age”.
- June 13th-14th 2014: Scientific Planner at 9° Congresso Nazionale SILPS, Milan, Palazzo Castiglioni: “Alt-Ramec treatment in UCLP: long-term follow-up”. Award for Best Clinical Presentation.
- June 8th 2013 Scientific Planner at Course: “Management of the respiratory problem in the baby patient with maxillary hypoplasia”. Livorno, Carrier Ship ‘Cavour’.
- February 12th 2013: Active member of BWS Scientific Comittee.
- January 17th 2013: Lecturer at the Congress: The treatment of macrogossia: why, when and how”. Torino,Regina Elena Hospital.
- October 27th 2012: Congresso SILPS with the presentation: “Primary orthopaedics in BCLP. Primary lengthening of the columella: the scientific evidence”, Bologna.
- 23rd-24th October 2011: IX National Congress SILPS, University La Sapienza of Roma.
- From 12nd 2010 till November 13th 2010 attends the course “Advanced elements with MBT technique”, Hotel Baglioni di Verona.
- June 19th-20th 2009: VII National Congress SILPS, Como.
- May 5th 2009 Course FAD “Sicure”. Security of the patients and the management of the clinical risk”, Milan.
- January 23rd 2009 Course “Update with the Aggiornamento in tema di self ligating techinque”, Milan.
- September 19th 2008: Course of Cerification with Invisalign, Milan.
- September 20th-23rd 2007: Congress “Innovation in aesthetics and oral function” , Roma.
- May 18th-19th 2007 Lecturer/Moderator at the VI National Congress SILPS, Bologna.
- May 12nd 2007: Course “From symtoms to diagnosis: multidiscilplinary approach to the oral respiratory child”, Melegnano.
- May 10th 2007 Pratical Course “Self-ligating biomechanics with low friction: introduction to the Damon System”, Modena.
- November 11th 2006 “Radioprotection Course,” Milan.
- May 31st 2006- June 4th 2006: III National Congress S.I.N.E.T., Naples.
- March 30th 2006: Congress: “Formula dentaria reduction in the orthodontic treatment”, Milano.
- November 25th-26th 2005 Course “Update in Orthodontics”, Milan.
- October 1st 2005 Course “Ethic and professionality in the oral care of the elderly patients”, Milan.
- May 20th-21st 2005: National Congress SILPS, Sestri Levante.
- March 19th 2005 Course “The conservatiove restoration of the anterior and posterior teeth”, Milan.
- November 25th-27th 2004 “2° Course on primary treatment of CLP” , Milan.
- November 20th 2004 Course “The non extraction therapy in class II. Easy Pendulum”, Milano.
- October 9th 2004: IV Meeting SIBOS, Milan.
- April 21st-24th 2004: XI National Congress of “Teachers’body in dentistry”, Rome.
- October 1st-4th: XVII International Congress SIDO, Rimini.
- April 25th-26th 2003: IX International “The success in restorative dentistry: clinical and scientific basis” Riva del Garda.
- June 1st-2nd 2001: International Workshop “Posture and Occlusione” , Milan.
- “Comparison of the psychosocial impact on patients affected by cranio facial anomlies between traditional orthodontic brackets and aligners”. Meazzini MC, Tortora C, Cohen N, Mazzoleni F, Balbo N, Donati V, Autelitano L. - Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2020 Aug. Online ahead of print.
- “Comparison of Pain Perception in Patients Affected by Cleft and Cranio Facial Anomalies Treated With Traditional Fixed Appliances or Invisalign”. Meazzini MC, Tortora C, Mazzoleni F, Autelitano L. - Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2020 Jan;57(1):35-42.
- “Long-term longitudinal evalutation of mandibular growth in patients with Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome treated and not treated with glossectomy”. Meazzini MC, Besana M, Tortora C, Cohen N, Rezzonico A, Ferrari M, Autelitano L - .J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2020;48(12):1126-1131.
- “Clinical and molecular diagnosis , screening and management of Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome:an international consensus statement”. Brioude F. et al. - Nature Reviews Endocrinology 2018(14): 229-249.
- “Short and long term effects of late maxillary advancement with the Liou-Alt-Ramec protocol in unilateral cleft lip and palate” . Meazzini MC, Zappia LB, Tortora C, Autelitano L, Tintinelli R. - Cleft Palate Craniofac Journal, 2018.
- “Recommendations of the Scientific Committee of the Italian Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome Association on the diagnosis, management and follow-up of the syndrome”. Mussa A, Di Candia S, Russo S, Catania S, De Pellegrin M, Di Luzio L, Ferrari M, Tortora C, Meazzini MC, Brusati R, Milani D, Zampino G, Montirosso R, Riccio A, Selicorni A, Cocchi G, Ferrero GB. - Eur J Med Genet. 2016 Jan;59(1):52-64.
- “Long-Term Computed Tomographic Evaluation of Alveolar Bone Formation in Patients with Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate after Early Secondary Gingivoalveolplasty. Meazzini MC, Corno M, Novelli G, Autelitano L, Tortora C, Elsido D, Garattini G, Brusati R. - Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016
- “Factors that affect variability in impairment of maxillary growth in patients with cleft lip and palate patients treated using the same surgical protocol”. Meazzini MC, Tortora C, Morabito A, Garattini G, Brusati R. -Journal of Plastic and Hand Surgery 2011(4-5): 188-193.
- Prevalence of abnormalities in dental structure, position, and eruption pattern in a population of unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Tortora C, Meazzini MC, Garattini G, Brusati R. - Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2008 Mar;45(2):154-62.
- “Alveolar bone formation in patients with unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate after secondary gingivo-alveolo-plasty:long-term results”. Meazzini MC, Tortora C, Morabito A, Garattini G, Brusati R. - Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Apr 15;119(5):1527-37.
- The abstract “Alveolar bone formation in patients with unilateral and bilateral cleft lip and palate after secondary gingivo-alveolo-plasty:long-term results” was presented at the VIII European Craniofacial Congress, Bilbao, June 20th-23rd 2007.
- “Regional Odontodisplasia or “Ghost tooth: the state of the art”. G.Garattini, E.Bazzini, C.Tortora, G.Rocchi, F.Bridda - Ortodonzia Clinica, Giugno 2005.